Thursday, November 1, 2012

November Gives Thanks

Every November my minifeed gets blown up with Days of Thanks and days of NoShaveNovember. So with that being said I have challenged Scott to not shave for the month of November. HAH, we will see how long that lasts! ;) I am actually partaking in daily giving of thanks in November. There will be a rhyme and reason behind each thanks I give on that day. So without further adieu, on this 1st day of November 2012 I am so very thankful for my Mother. If you have not had the pleasure of meeting her then you must do so immediately! This lady single-handedly raised me to be the caring and emotional person I am today. She taught me love and how to love others. My mother is also one of the strongest women I know and admire. I like to think the goodness I do have inside came directly from her. And I am so happy to have her as Luke's Nana! I know they are going to do so many things together! And hopefully she will share her love with Luke like she did with me. Even though I haven't gotten the "real" opportunity yet to be Luke's Mommy, I hope that when the time comes I am just like my mom. I hope that I can protect him like she protected me and love him like she loved me and mold him into a perfect child like she did with me..... ok that took it too far right?! ;) Mama I love you so much and I am so proud to have a Nana like you for Luke! 

Ok - on to Mr. Luke's publicity report for the day. ;)

There is quite a lot to talk about since I haven't written since he had surgery - a little over a week. Well Luke has taken his time with recovery and that is exactly what we want. He gets progressively better everyday. I will never stop praying for him and his friends in the hospital and all of the sweet nurses and doctors that are taking care of our special children. The first few days after surgery Luke had rough times. He had been sedated and paralyzed so much that it took a few days to just come out of his little coma. Slowly he came back to us. One finger would lift, a little later a whole foot would move, later his entire arm. But today he was on a roll with his "exercising" (this consists of an aerobic routine I feel sure I learned from Coach Dabbs in High School), goes like this : Left fist punch over Right fist punch over, works the sides I think... Then he does his leg exercises - mainly consists of extends and kickboxing. He's still working on them since he's waiting for the feeling to come back in his right toes completely. He's also the first to don a funny face at you. Today he stuck his tongue out at his Daddy at least 3 times. Must have thought he was elaborating on Venkman too much in the story. ;) His weight is indicating he is now 3 1/2 lbs, but we have to calculate swelling into that number as well. 

Medically speaking Luke is getting there. He's on the road to where he needs to be. After he had that tummy surgery, his body sighed a major sigh of relief! Now we are just playing catch up. Trying to get my Bean back to his normal levels. No real updates right now. Will probably have more tomorrow for that. And I like this - means my sweet man may be on the road to chilling out until he gets to come home! Let's hope!!

Luke Personality Bits: Now for those of you reading this that really know me more than Scott I am afraid I have to say Luke has my personality. When the nurse sets his arm in place for an IV the minute she turns around he rolls his hand over. When the Respiratory Therapists come by to give him his breathing treatment he pitches a throw down fit then. The man just wants to hang out and sleep - hello just like his Mommy!  Come to my house on a weekend and see if you don't catch the same action and 'tude. My little man sure does have it. All that fussing and punching and kicking and as soon as she changed his diaper and laid his blanket over him he was out like a light! That's most definitely my boy! 

I am so very overwhelmed at the love and devotion shown to me and my family at the Fall Festival on 10/27. I am being as honest as I can be and it's coming from the depths of my heart and soul when I say THANK YOU! Thank you from all of us. Luke is a very special man already, he has so many beautiful guardian angels in Eatonton that have been watching over him and getting things together for him for his future. And we appreciate more than you know.

There's something to be said about living in a small town. Born and raised my entire life. I love my hometown always have and always will. I will be the first to stand and say "I am from Eatonton, Georgia and I will forever be a Putnam County Queen!" And for some who didn't have the privilege of experiencing life in a small town - well you missed out on something that stays with you forever. Your friendships may take different courses, you may move away but the country doesn't move out of your heart. I guess what I am trying to say is - having been married for the past 4 1/2 years and lived in Atlanta you lose touch with those that you had such close relationships with at one time. Even though we may all drift apart or away - drift off to our own routine - Wake, Eat, Daycare, Work, Daycare, Dinner, Playtime, Bathtime, Nighttime - the moment one of your own - no matter the amount of time that has passed since you have touched base - in that moment when we find that someone needs our love and support that we love so dearly from being "one of our own" we set out to help them the best way we can. And that everyone is compassion for each other at its best! And I can say without a doubt that Eatonton Georgia is full of a very rare sense of camaraderie amongst your fellow man. And that is why I love Eatonton and I will forever be proud of where I came from and I can't wait to take Luke to his very first Dairy Festival and meet all of his angels that never even knew existed for him!

I will leave like this - Please be thankful - not just for the month of November or for a fun little game, but be truly thankful every day of your life that you have lived to see another and you have so much to love and be thankful for. I did get a huge reality check on 10/4/12- one I was not expecting at all. And ever since that day I could name a million things I am thankful for and a million reasons to be thankful. Don't take each day for granted. Take it as the day you have been given to do something great with. I know I have been for the past 4 weeks. And it has given me a perspective that I never knew existed. 

Love you all and thank you for taking  a minute to check in on us! :)

Melissa, Scott & Luke

1 comment:

  1. Awesome...every day will be better and better..
    You are learning to fly..I am already in flight..take my hand.. :))))

    ReplyDelete